I am a PhD student in Computer Science at ONERA and IRISA, supervised by Sébastien Lefèvre and Bertrand Le Saux. I teach computers how to look at airborne images to create beautiful maps. My research focuses on deep neural networks (deep learning) for remote sensing image analysis and Earth Observation. Specifically, I am currently working on convolutional neural networks for semantic labeling of airborne and satellite images (RGB, multi and hyperspectral).
I am interested in machine learning, algorithms and Python.
July 2017: I was at CVPR 2017 for the Earthvision workshop, where I presented our work on semantic mapping using deep nets and OpenStreetMap data.
June 2017: I collaborated with the LISTIC team on using deep nets to perform semantic segmentation on Sentinel-2 images. This work will be presented at IGARSS'17 in Forth Worth, Texas.
June 2017: I presented at ORASIS 2017 our work on data fusion with deep networks for remote sensing (slides).
May 2017: Our submission on joint deep learning using optical and OSM data for semantic mapping of aerial/satellite images has been accepted to the EarthVision 2017 CVPR Workshop !
April 2017: Our Remote Sensing journal paper on vehicle segmentation for detection and classification is out in open access on the MPDI website.
March 2017: My colleague Alexandre Boulch will present the SnapNet architecture for semantic segmentation of unstructured point clouds at Eurographics 3DOR workshop. It is the current state-of-the-art on the Semantic3D dataset (code).
March 2017: Our paper on data fusion for remote sensing using deep nets won the 2nd best student paper award at JURSE 2017 ! Slides and poster are available.
Februrary 2017: The code of the deep network we used for the ISPRS Vaihingen 2D Semantic Labeling Challenge is out on Github !
January 2017: We will present two invited papers at JURSE 2017 !
November 2016: I will be at ACCV'16 in Taipei to present our poster on semantic segmentation of Earth Observation using multi-scale and multimodal deep networks.
October 2016: I will be at PyCon-fr (the French Python conference) to speak about deep learning using Python (slides (in French) and video (in French, too)).
September 2016: Our paper on the use of deep networks for object-based image analysis of vehicles in the ISPRS dataset has been distinguished by the "Best Benchmarking Contribution Award" at GEOBIA 2016 !
September 2016: I will be at GEOBIA 2016 in Enschede to talk about our work on object-based analysis of cars in remote sensing images using deep learning.
September 2016: Our paper on semantic segmentation for Earth Observation was accepted at ACCV'16 for a poster presentation. Check out the state-of-the-art results on the ISPRS Vaihingen 2D Semantic Labeling Challenge !
July 2016: I will be at IGARSS'16 in Beijing to present our work on superpixel-based semantic segmentation of aerial images.
April 2016: Our paper on region-based classification of remote sensing images using deep features has been accepted at IGARSS'16 for an oral presentation.
October 2015: I started as a PhD student at ONERA and IRISA.
PublicationsMost of my papers should be in open access on HAL or on arXiv.
- "Segment-before-Detect: Vehicle Detection and Classification through Semantic Segmentation of Aerial Images", Nicolas Audebert, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, Remote Sensing, MDPI, 2017.
- "Couplage de données géographiques participatives et d'images aériennes par apprentissage profond", Nicolas Audebert, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, GRETSI, Juan-les-Pins, 2017.
- "Joint Learning from Earth Observation and OpenStreetMap Data to Get Faster Better Semantic Maps", Nicolas Audebert, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, EarthVision - CVPR Workshop, Honolulu, 2017 (poster).
- "Fusion of Heterogeneous Data in Convolutional Networks for Urban Semantic Labeling", Nicolas Audebert, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, JURSE, Dubai, 2017 (slides, poster).
- "Semantic Segmentation of Earth Observation Data Using Multimodal and Multi-scale Deep Networks", Nicolas Audebert, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, ACCV, Taipei, 2016 (poster).
- "On the usability of deep networks for object-based image analysis", Nicolas Audebert, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, GEOBIA, Enschede, 2016 (slides).
- "How useful is region-based classification of remote sensing images in a deep learning framework ?", Nicolas Audebert, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, IGARSS, Beijing, 2016 (slides).
- "Structural classifiers for contextual semantic labeling of aerial images". Hicham Randrianarivo, Bertrand Le Saux, Nicolas Audebert, Michel Crucianu, Marin Ferecatu, Big Data from Space (BiDS), Tenerife, 2016.
- "Réseaux de neurones profonds et fusion de données pour la segmentation sémantique d'images aériennes", Nicolas Audebert, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, ORASIS 2017 (Journées des jeunes chercheurs en vision par ordinateur), Colleville-sur-Mer, 2017 (slides).
- "Deep Learning for Remote Sensing". Nicolas Audebert, Alexandre Boulch, Adrien Lagrange, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, 16th ONERA-DLR Aerospace Symposium (ODAS), Oberpfaffenhofen, 2016.
- "Deep learning for aerial cartography" (poster). Nicolas Audebert, Bertrand Le Saux, Sébastien Lefèvre, Statlearn Workshop, Vannes, 2016.
- EarthVision Workshop @ CVPR'17 : Joint Learning from Earth Observation and OSM Data (poster) (21/07/2017)
- Data science for geosciences workshop @ EAGE : Deep 3D Convolutional Neural Networks for Classification of Hyperspectral Data (12/06/2017)
- GDR ISIS @ Télécom ParisTech : Deep Learning for Classification of Hyperspectral Data (01/06/2017
- Seminar @ IGN : Deep Learning for Multimodal Remote Sensing and Object Detection (21/03/2017)
- MS SIO @ CentraleSupélec : Deep Learning for Multimodal Remote Sensing and Object Detection (10/03/2017)
- JURSE @ Dubai : Fusion of Heterogeneous Remote Sensing Data Using Deep Convolutional Networks (07/03/2017)
- PhD Students Day @ ONERA : Classification of Big Remote Sensing Data (30/01/2017)
- Seminar on GPU computing @ ONERA : GPU computing for deep learning (12/01/2017)
- PhD Students Day @ IRISA : Classification of Big Remote Sensing Data (08/12/2016)
- ACCV @ Taipei : Semantic Segmentation of Earth Observation Data Using Multi-scale and Multi-modal Deep Networks (poster) (22/11/2016)
- MATHIAS Conference @ TOTAL : Object-based Classification of Vehicles in Aerial Images Using Deep Neural Networks (28/10/2016)
- PyCon-FR : Deep learning with Python (15/10/2016)
- GEOBIA @ Enschede : On the Usability of Deep Networks for Object-based Image Analysis (15/09/2016)
- IGARSS @ Beijing : How useful is region-based classification of remote sensing data in a deep learning framework? (13/07/2016)
- ODAS Conference @ ONERA & DLR : Deep learning for remote sensing (22/06/2016)
- Scientific workshop on image processing @ TOTAL : Deep learning for remote sensing (15/06/2016)
- STATLEARN conference @ Vannes : Deep learning for aerial cartography (poster) (07/04/2016)
ENPC : First year main course of C++ programming
ENPC : First year algorithmic and data structures
|2015 - today||PhD student -
"Classification of big remote sensing data"
Deep learning for image processing and Earth Observation
|ONERA, The French Aerospace Lab
Institute for Research in Computer Science and Random Systems (IRISA)
|2014 - 2015||Master Human-Computer Interaction||Université Paris-Sud|
|2012 - 2015||Engineering student - Computer Science||Supélec|
|2012 - 2013||Bachelor Mathematics||Université Paris-Sud|
|April 2015 - September 2015||Research internship||TUM - Computer Vision Lab||Deep learning for facial expression recognition|
|June 2014 - September 2014||Software Engineer (intern)||Withings||Web development of an incentive platform for quantified self (PHP/Backbone.js)|
|2012 - 2015||Member||Supélec Rézo||Sysadmin and software development for the organization providing Internet access to 700 students|
Skills :Programming :
- Advanced : Python (numpy, scipy, Caffe)
- Beginner : C, Java, OCaml
- Git, GIMP, Libre Office, LaTeX, GNU/Linux
- French (maternal)
- English (full proficiency)
- Japanese (beginner)
- German (beginner)
I graduated in 2015 from Supélec, one of France's top engineering school, with a focus on Computer Science. I also graduated from the université Paris-Sud with a MSc in Human-Computer Science. While I was an engineering student, I was head of the Supélec Rézo organization that provides Internet access to all Supélec' students.
Before this, I studied applied and fundamental mathematics at Université Paris-Sud and spent three years in preparation classes for the competitive entrance to engineering schools at lycée Janson-de-Sailly (Paris), with a heavy focus on maths and physics.
During the summer 2014, I interned in Withings' Platform team (web development/data analysis) where I designed and implemented an automated incentive system to help people take care of their health (PHP/Backbone.js).
I did my final intership in the Computer Vision lab at TUM under Pr. Daniel Cremers supervision. I worked on deep learning for facial expression recognition.
Since October 2015, I am a PhD student at ONERA.